Reach benefits of scientific and technological advancements to the rural sector by giving technical back-up for the sustainable rural development and create replicable models for the nation.
- Identify the problems of rural sector (socio-economic and environmental related issues) requiring appropriate science and technology inputs
- Develop sustainable technologies, involving the faculty and students of IITD, by blending appropriately modern ‘S&T’ with traditional knowledge and wisdom, for solving the problems
- Transfer/disseminate the technologies involving government and non-government organizations/institutions for employment generation, poverty alleviation and community development
- Restoring ecological balance by conserving and developing natural resources i.e land, water, vegetative cover especially plantations
- Undertake appropriate teaching (for sensitizing students), research, information/S&T dissemination and outreach related activities and network with other technical institutions, NGOs, government agencies, and rural/SSI industries, for achieving sustainable rural development
About the Centre
It is now well recognized that the status of ‘development’ of a nation does not depend solely on ‘economic growth’. Environmental and socio-cultural issues integrated with human values are important for sustainability. The Centre for Rural Development and Technology (CRDT) was established in 1979 to function as a nodal centre to enable the benefits of S&T advancements to the rural sector and support such activities. It was an important experiment as not many technical institutions had attempted to establish a formal Rural Development Centre at that time. It is one of the twenty-three departments/Centre of IIT Delhi. The focus of the centre has been on following major activities;
- Teaching for sensitizing students towards the sustainable rural development through UG and PG level courses
- Research and development with main focus on multidisciplinary and quality research on field worthy technologies suitable at grass root level for farm and non-farm sectors. The major thrust areas of R&D are Biomass and Environment, Rural Energy Systems, Food and Natural plant products and Rural Engineering and Sustainable habitat Systems
- Information collection & dissemination
- Technology transfer/dissemination through government, non-government organizations, field agencies etc.
So far much thought and efforts have gone in evolving Centre’s activities. Now Centre has achieved a highly acclaimed position in the IIT Delhi and country as well. R&D and Technology Transfer/ dissemination have been successfully achieved in various areas namely biomass, sustainable organic food production, biogas, bio-diesel, rapid composting, including vermicomposting, improved cook stoves, micro-hydel, animal driven prime mover, bio-fertilizers, bio-pesticides, silvipastoral technology, bioremediation, eco-sanitation, safe & sustainable housing through many projects with the involvement of faculty at different departments/centers at IITD, and institutions/organizations at National and International levels. Some of mega projects are: MGIRI Wardha project, RUTAG, BDTC, MoRD sponsored and NAIP Bamboo projects and MORD sponsored project on Rural Housing Knowledge Network.
In fact the centre has received a number of awards. These include ISTE best paper award on “Role of Higher Technical Institutions in Rural Development” (in 1948), FICCI award for Rural Development (1986) and Golden Jubilee award for Excellence in the field of Khadi & Village Industries for the contribution to the MGIRI project (2007).
The goals and achievements of the centre over the period (2004-2012) are presented in this brochure.